Rss Feed
  1. Food for thoughts

    Sep 18, 2006

    Got late this time, was busy with exams and their aftershocks {marks:)}.
    In my previous post I shared about the change I’m experiencing in my reading habit. So thought why not encourage friends into reading!

    Let me start with a real incidence. Former U.S president Theodore Roosevelt found persons stealing his row boat. He followed them in other boat and finally caught them at the point of his gun . While returning back he was 60 kms away from his place.
    Now you might be wondering about: what makes this incidence worth quoting? Well in the meantime he covered 60 kms, he completed Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy. Isn’t it great?
    Normally a person is not much involved with literature (though he/she might have scored highest in college or school). But read we must. Read for fun, read for entertainment, read things which suite your taste and with passage of time you’ll realize that you read not only because books are men’s best friends but also because it’s food for soul {thoughts}.
    Once a great man handed his son a poetry book by T.S.Eliot with a complement: “with a great person in your pocket you’ll never be lone in life”.

    I would like to point out a problem which I faced in my initial days of reading as a hobby. Main problem is perplexity about what to read and what not? As per I feel, conventional novels like those of Sidney Sheldon are nothing but a mere time waste & all they give you in the end is 2-3 more words in your vocabulary. So don’t waste time on such craps.-I did and when I came across classics and good novels I thought why didn’t I read them earlier?

    Reader’s Digest defines a classic as a book which remained in print for a long time span. So if you think you have your own philosophy, start reading classics & philosophies. To name few:
    -Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy,
    My experiments with truth by Gandhi ji,
    Riot by Shashi Tharoor,
    War & Peace by Leo Tolstoy,
    Crime & Punishment by Dostoevsky,
    Hunch back of Notre dame by Victor Hugo

    One more thing I would like to point out is that many people view a novel as a mere story & read it as a story. A novel {good ones only} is much more than a story. Its imagination (universe) bounded between two covers. And if you feel that the novel at hand is a mere story, just drop that.
    So if you are not a regular reader, take a start and one day you’ll love yourself for loving books. Just be voracious reader and read what ever {relatively good} comes your way. Just discover the undiscovered horizons.

  2. 2 Comments:

    1. Movie Mazaa said...

      U have such a valid point!!
      Ah!! the joys of reading could be endless....

      :)

    2. Anonymous said...

      Hmmm Thats a nice list of books you have there... Have you read all of them ...I think " The picture of Dorian Gray" by Oscar Wilde and " The Idiot" by Fyodor Dostoevsky (Damn these tough Russian names) are very good reads too. If you have time, do read them.

      As for the contemporary fiction writers, like Sidney Sheldon and Jeffrey Archer (who, incidentally, happens to be someone I really like), they are good to introduce one to the world of reading.

    Post a Comment